The most popular shooter with heroes. The best Blizzard game since the release of World of Warcraft and hundreds of other epithets I heard from my friends and acquaintances in the direction of the Overwatch shooter. And, frankly, the only thing that stopped me from stealing into this game and starting to try it was its paid. But it looks like the gods heard my prayers and now Overwatch has got the second part and has become absolutely free.
And now I will try to tell you my impressions of a person who has never played Overwatch up to this point.
Well, the main thing that should be said at the very beginning, and which I’m not the only one who has already said, is the fact that, in fact, Overwatch 2 does not look like a full-fledged second part of the game at all, but rather, like some kind of global add-on with a bunch of innovations.
New features in the game are now:
- 5v5 Format – Battles are fought in a 5v5 format (rather than 6v6). Each team consists of one tank, two fighters and two support heroes.
- Stats window – The table displays key parameters for all players in the match, including the number of kills and deaths.
- Marking system – Players can mark any point on the battlefield to coordinate with allies, as well as offer to attack a specific enemy hero.
- New gunshot sounds for all heroes.
- Environment sound improvements.
- Audible indicators for fatal blows and allied deaths.
- Sounds to indicate the type of health that was damaged – Normal health, armor, shields, excess health.
- The Capture Points mode is only available in custom matches.
- New Map Lightings – Ilios (Evening Lighting), Lijiang Tower (Dawn Lighting), Oasis (Night Lighting), Dorado (Evening Lighting), Highway 66 (Night Lighting), King’s Row (Evening Lighting), Eichenwald (Evening Lighting).
- Support for HDR monitors.
- Damage from the last attack that depletes the hero’s armor is now reduced dynamically. For example, earlier, if the hero had 1 unit. armor and he received 100 units. damage, his armor reduced the damage taken to 70. Now in a similar situation, the hero will receive 99 units. damage.
- Removing loot boxes.
- In-game store with skins.
- Battle Pass with paid and free rewards.
- Cross progression.
All this looks like a list of definitely pleasant, but not necessarily mandatory innovations. Because veterans of the game love it anyway.
Much more interesting things are with the new content, which the developers have finally brought us too.
So what awaits us now:
- New Onslaught Mode – Teams battle it out for control of the Treadweather TS-1 robot. Members of one of the teams must be near the robot when there are no opponents nearby in order to move it. To win, you must escort him to the enemy base (or as far as possible in 8 minutes).
- Two maps for the mode “Onslaught” – “New Queen Street” and “Colosseum”.
- New map “Royal Route” for the “Escort” mode
- New map “Midtown” for “Hybrid Mode”
- Two new skirmish maps – Kanezaka and Malevento.
- Three new heroes – Vulture Queen (Tank), Sojorn (Damage) and Kiriko (Support).
All of this, at least on paper, looks pretty interesting.
I could write that all this is played well and fun and end there, but here we need to make some important clarifications on the game.
Firstlyinstead of the usual scheme in 2x2x2, the 5v5 scheme is now played, respectively, most often the alignment goes to 3d 1 tank and 1 support.
Secondly, Everyone’s ratings have been reset and now everyone is starting their in-game journey from the very beginning, which in general cannot but rejoice. And in general, the number of newcomers who came to the game clearly affected it for the better. Now the old and experienced players will not crush you with their cyber-cuttleness, BUT at the same time, you are not immune from the periodic stupidity of your team members, as in any other game.
But in general, losing in matches has become less offensive because you understand very well that this is just a game, you are all new here and just want to play.
As for the rating matches, there have also been some changes. So if you have a new account, you must first successfully complete the “training” and then complete 50 Quick Play matches before you can start participating in the rankings.
This is to ensure that new players have already gained experience and mastered the game before competing for ranks in the ladder. It is also expected that this will be less annoying for players who already have experience, since their team will not have newcomers who do not understand the game.
It looks like Overwatch 2 has become much friendlier to new players, and the idea of rebalancing towards a 5v5 game is the best that the developers from Blizzard could offer due to the lack of balance in the game mechanics for two tanks. And this, not to mention the fact that now they finally manage to destroy their competitor in the face of Paladins.
In addition, Blizzard published a short animated film dedicated to the heroine Kiriko. A new character in the game for the support class. So, for now, you decide whether the game is worth your attention.
You can check out the stylish short film, as usual just below.