Last night, as part of the first part of the BlizzCon 2023 event, developers from Blizzard shared plans for the further development of World of Warcraft and World of Warcraft Classic. In this article you will find a brief summary of the most interesting information from the 8-hour stream.
World of Warcraft
The developers announced three new additions at once, which will be included in a long story saga called Worldsoul.
- The first expansion, “The War Within,” will take players to the heart of Azeroth.
- The second expansion, “Midnight,” will take players to the old world, specifically the Quel’Thalas location.
- The third expansion, “The Last Titan,” will take players to the old world, specifically the Northrend location, where they will see the return of the titans.
The War Within
- Coming out in fall 2024, three different editions are now available for pre-order.
- The maximum character level will be raised to 80.
- The key villain will be Xal’atath.
- The key characters will be the time-worn Anduin Wrynn (still pretending to be emo and talking about feelings), Thrall, Alleria Windrunner, Magni Bronzebeard.
Three new factions will be added:
- The Earthen (allies) – another type of dwarf, a distinctive feature of which is the minerals on the body.
- Divided into three groups (or clans) – Unbound, Oathswornb, Machine speakers.
- They are an allied race. With some effort, users can unlock a race and play as it. Available to horde and alliance.
- The Arathi (allies) – people whose society is based on the use of holy fire.
- Nerubians (opponents) – an improved version of the Nerubians, for example, among them there are evolved humanoid spiders. In my opinion, it would be better to make them an allied race.
A new continent will be added – Khaz Algar, it contains the following locations:
- The Isle of Dorn (located on the surface) – The Earthen faction settled here.
- The Ringing Deeps (located underground) – an underground location inhabited by gnolls and other all kinds of creatures.
- Hallowfall (located underground) – The Arathi faction settled here. There is a huge shining crystal on the ceiling. Due to a certain reason, it periodically dims, allowing hostile creatures to crawl out.
- Azj kahet (located underground) – Nerubians live here.
The locations are connected to each other using the same mechanics as the Zaralek caves, and you can also fly through them on dragons from the current expansion.
New dungeons and one raid will be added.
- 4 dungeons to level up: The Rookery, The Stonevault, Priory of the Sacred Flame, City of Threads.
- 4 endgame dungeons: Cinderbrew Meadery, Darkflame Cleft, The Dawnbreaker, Old City.
- The raid is located in the Azj kahet location and is called Nerub’ar Palace.
Add a new activity called Delves.
- Small adventures taking place in the open world.
- Works on a seasonal model, offering new rewards and experiences in the open world.
- Players will go on expeditions in search of lost treasures.
- Designed for 1-5 players (activity is adjusted to the size of the group), and you will always be accompanied by an NPC, in the first season it was Magni Bronzebeard.
- At launch, 13 unique activity options will be available.
- There is no strict requirement for classes in a group. That is, to pass, you don’t necessarily need a group consisting of a tank, damage dealer and healer.
They will add a new system called Warbands (although for me, this is a huge improvement in quality of life). Essentially, it will add several new features and, perhaps most importantly, will transfer various collection systems to the account. For example, things like reputation, achievements, transmog, fame, etc.
They will add a new development system called Hero talls.
- Adds two advanced skill trees to each class specialization.
- Automatically unlocks after reaching character level 71.
- Further, for each level the character receives one skill point, by level 80 you can get a maximum of 10 points.
- Based on what the developers say, the process of switching between tree nodes or the trees themselves will be simple.
World of Warcraft Classic
- The release of the “Cataclysm” add-on was announced; the differences from the 2010 version are slightly faster leveling and a transmog system that works for the account.
- At the beginning of 2024, the hardcore version will receive Self Found mode. Its main difference is that the player will not be able to trade, use mail and auction until the maximum level is reached.
- The launch of a new season called Season of Discovery was announced; its release will take place on November 30 this year.
Season of Discovery
- Due to the concept of the core mechanics of the season, the developers will not be conducting public testing or running test servers.
- At launch, the maximum possible character level will be 25, but after a certain point it will be raised, then again, etc. Interestingly, after raising the level cap for the previous range, bonuses to the experience gained are activated, so it will be a little easier for new users to catch up with those who are already playing.
- Upon reaching level 2, the class NPC issues a special quest that introduces the key themes and mechanics of the season – runes. The player receives the first rune after completing the quest, and the rest will have to be searched all over the world (or use the guide/database after other players find them).
- Using a special ability, which is available to everyone from the first level, runes can be applied to equipment, gaining access to a certain ability.
- Opened runes are automatically added to the collection, after which they can be used as many times as desired, changing depending on the situation.
- Each rune is tied to a specific piece of equipment; in other words, option X can only be applied to boots. In the first level range, runes for the breastplate, pants, and boots will be available. As you increase your level range, you will be able to find runes for other pieces of equipment.
- As for the abilities that runes provide, they are varied and not tied to your skill tree. For example, you can add new offensive abilities or take an option that allows you to play the role of a tank.
- Some abilities provide unique effects that were previously available as faction buffs.
- In the first level range, over 100 runes will be available. In the album below you will find examples of such abilities for classes – druid, hunter, mage, paladin, priest, rogue, shaman, warlock, warrior.
- Will be present PvP events in the open world.
- When killed in the Ashenvale location, a unique PvP event is activated, summoning two NPC leaders – one for the horde, the other for the alliance.
- The meaning of the event is simple – get into the main camp of the opposing faction and destroy their leader.
- In addition to the main camp, there are several secondary camps, in which NPCs appear that strengthen the leader. So if players want to make things easier for themselves, they should first clear as many camps as possible, or even all of them.
- As a reward for events, you will receive honor, reputation with the faction, and a special mount (it can only be used in Ashenvale).
- Raid will be available at level 25 Blackfathom Deeps. Yes, in the regular and classic versions this is a dungeon, but in the first season it will be converted into a raid for 10 people. Briefly about the changes:
- Raid CD – 3 days.
- New loot will be added – both rewards from bosses and rewards for raid-related quests.
- There are new secrets hiding valuable rewards. For example, crafting recipes and a new world buff.
- There are 7 updated bosses: Baron Aquanis, Ghamoo-ra, Lady Sarevess, Gellhast, Lorgus Jett, Twilight Lord Kelris, Aku’mal.